‘The Afterparty’ From Lord & Miller Sets an Outstanding Ensemble
AppleTV+ is producing The Afterparty, an original and unique take on the whodunnit genre coming from the brilliant minds of Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
The project was reported over the summer, and today, Apple officially announced the cast they have assembled for the series. It includes Tiffany Haddish, Sam Richardson, Zoë Chao, Ben Schwartz, Ike Barinholtz, Dave Franco, Jamie Demetriou, Ilana Glazer, and John Early. The project is described as a murder-mystery comedy series.
The plot revolves around a suspicious death that occurs at a high school reunion afterparty. But like all of Lord and Miller’s work, there’s much more to it than meets the eye. Each of the eight episodes will be a retelling of the same night, but told from a different character’s perspective. To convey these diverse personalities, each episode will be presented in a unique visual style and with a new spin on distinct film genres. Think Knives Out meets Rashomon.
John Early pic.twitter.com/l8bCWviIOm
— Apple TV (@AppleTV) November 11, 2020
Deadline is also reporting on some character descriptions for each member of the cast. Here’s what they are saying:
- Tiffany Haddish is playing the eccentric Detective Danner, who is in charge of solving the case.
- Richardson is playing Aniq, an escape room designer looking for a reunion with her high school crush, Zoe.
- Chao is playing Zoe, an artist who became the school administrator, and who’s just divorced her high school sweetheart.
- Schwartz is playing Yasper, the always-positive best friend of Aniq’s who is trying to break into the world of music (sounds like a Ben Schwartz character or what?).
- Barinholtz is playing Zoe’s ex-husband, an arrogant, former high school athlete.
- Glazer is playing Chelsea, the former class president.
- Franco is playing a once-dorky high school drama student turned into a famous pop star and actor.
- Demetriou is playing Walt, a character who nobody noticed during high school and came to the reunion hoping someone will remember him (sounds like a killer or what?).
- Early is playing Danner’s detective partner.
Chris Miller will be the showrunner and executive producer, along with Phil Lord. TriStar TV and Sony Pictures TV are producing the project as well, in agreement with their overall deal with the two of them. This is not the only project the two are working on right now, as they are also in pre-production of Project Hail Mary, starring Ryan Gosling as a lone astronaut in space.
Miguel Fernández is a Spanish student that has movies as his second passion in life. His favorite movie of all time is The Lord of the Rings, but he is also a huge Star Wars fan. However, fantasy movies are not his only cup of tea, as authors like Scorsese, Fincher, Kubrick or Hitchcock have been an obsession for him since he started to understand the language of filmmaking. He is that guy who will watch a black and white movie, just because it is in black and white.